Many of us don’t even think about cleaning the interior of our dishwasher. It might seem illogical to clean something that is designed to clean other items, but regular maintenance will help your appliances perform at peak ability. Soap scum, food debris, and minerals from you tap water build up over time. This can lead to a breeding ground for germs, mildew, and mold. The mineral deposits can also attach to your dishes and prevent your machine from working properly. We’ve done the research and can help you learn how you clean your dishwasher without calling in the maintenance man.
What you’ll need:
- Damp cloth
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- Dishwasher safe container – small container or glass
- 1 cup Baking Soda
Steps to easily and safely clean your dishwasher:
- Empty any dishes: You’ll want to make sure the dishwasher is empty to clean thoroughly.
- Remove debris: Use your damp cloth to remove andy large debris, such as food particles, from the interior of your dishwasher.
- Clear out the drain: Remove the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Most racks should easily slide out and lift off the tracks. Use your cloth to clear out any gunk and debris from around the drains.
- Add the vinegar: Place your 2 cups of regular white vinegar in the dishwasher safe container on the bottom rack of your dishwasher. The jets on the top of your dishwasher will fill up the container and release the vinegar solution into your machine. Then run your dishwasher on your “normal” or “regular cycle. Avoid the “hot” or “sanitize” cycles as the steam created can release irritating vinegar vapors into your home. Ultimately the vinegar with help descale the interior of the dishwasher and reduce/remove odors that may have built-up due to grim.
- Sprinkle baking soda: After the vinegar cycle is complete sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda across the bottom of your dishwasher. Then run the machine on a “short” cycle to remove any additional grime and stains. In the absence of a short cycle, you can use your “normal” cycle.
- Leave the door open: After both cycles are complete leave the door to your dishwasher open and allow the interior to air dry. This will help release any residual odors from cleaning and prevent any immediate excess moisture build-up which can lead to mildew and mold. For safety reasons make sure to keep pets and children away from the machine while open.
Make sure to read the instruction manual of your appliance. Some machines may have specific cycles and products that work best for descaling and cleaning. Also make sure to refer to your warranty to ensure you won’t be accidentally voiding your policy, as some have strict guidelines for maintenance.
While regular maintenance can help extend the life of your appliances, don’t overuse this process. Vinegar as an acid can potentially damage your machine if overused.
Clean Arrival – Recurring Cleaning Services
To help maintain the rest of your home discover our recurring cleaning service on our booking page or call us at 503-567-5404. You can also message us on Facebook or email us here.